Make your garden greener by picking up some gems from our Native Plant Sales.
We offer a wide range of ground covers, grasses, trees and shrubs that are native to the Wollongong area, as well as other Australian natives. You can check our plant list below a week before each sale to find out what will be available. Worm farms and compost bins can also be bought at our sales.
Our expert horticulturalists are on hand at each sale to help with advice about plant selection for your garden.
The Friends of Wollongong Botanic Garden also hold a stall at our sales. Plants available from the Friends vary, and can include herbs or exotic plants. Profits go towards supporting a range of projects for the Garden.
65 Northfields Avenue, Keiraville
(please note: there is no access to the Nursery from within the Garden, you must enter via Northfields Ave).
Our next plant sales are shown below, or see our calendar for a full list of sales and other events.
Below is the plant list for 4 December 2021.
Plants are listed with their scientific name in italics, followed by the common name in brackets.
Illawarra Local Native Species
- Acacia maidenii (Maidens Wattle)
- Acacia stricta (Hop Wattle)
- Acmena smithii var. minor (Dwarf Lilly Pilly)
- Acronychia oblongifolia (White Aspen)
- Ajuga australis (Australian Bugle)
- Allocasuarina verticillata (Drooping She-oak)
- Alocasia bribanensis (Cunjevoi)
- Alpinia caerulea (Native Ginger)
- Aneilema biflorum (Two-flowered Aneilema)
- Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (Bangalow Palm)
- Asplenium australasicum (Birds Nest Fern)
- Backhousia myrtifolia (Cinnamon Myrtle)
- Baeckia imbricata (Heath Myrtle)
- Baloskion tetraphyllum (Tassel Cord Rush)
- Banksia ericifolia (Heath-leaved Banksia)
- Banksia integrifolia (Coast Banksia)
- Banksia robur (Swamp Banksia)
- Banksia serrata (Saw Banksia)
- Banksia spinulosa (Hairpin Banksia)
- Blechnum cartilagineum (Gristle Fern)
- Blechnum nudum (Fishbone Water Fern)
- Brachychiton acerifolius (Illawarra Flame Tree)
- Brachyscome angustifolia (Grass Daisy)
- Brachyscome multifida (Rock Daisy)
- Breynia oblongifolia (Coffee Bush)
- Callitris rhomboidea (Port Jackson Pine)
- Carex appressa (Tall Sedge)
- Carex brunnea (Greater Brown Sedge)
- Casuarina torulosa (Rose She-oak)
- Chrysocephalum apiculatum (Yellow Buttons)
- Cissus antartica (Water Vine)
- Coprosma quadrifida (Native Currant)
- Coronidium elatum (White Paper Daisy)
- Crinum pedunculatum (Swamp Lily)
- Croton vereauxii (Green Native Cascarilla)
- Cupaniopsis anacardioides (Tuckeroo)
- Cyathea cooperi (Scaly Tree Fern)
- Cymbopogon refractus (Barb Wire Grass)
- Deeringia amaranthoides (Shrubby Deeringia)
- Dianella caerulea (Blue Flax-lily)
- Dodonaea triquetra (Large Leaf Hop Bush)
- Dodonaea viscosa (Hop Bush)
- Doodia aspera (Rasp Fern)
- Endiandra sieberi (Corkwood)
- Ehretia acuminata (Koda)
- Eupomatia laurina (Bolwarra)
- Euroschinus falcatus (Ribbon Wood)
- Eustrephus latifolius (Wombat Berry)
- Ficinia / Isolepsis nodosa (Knobby Club-rush)
- Ficus marcrophylla (Moreton Bay Fig)
- Ficus superba (Deciduous Fig)
- Gahnia sieberiana (Red-fruit Saw-sedge)
- Geitonoplesium cymosum (Scrambling Lily)
- Glochidion ferdinandi (Cheese Tree)
- Gmelina leichhardtii (White Beech)
- Goodia lotifolia (Golden Tip)
- Goodenia ovata-prostrate form (Hop Goodenia)
- Goodenia ovata-non prostrate form (Hop Goodenia)
- Gymnostachys anceps (Settlers Flax)
- Gynochthodes jasminoides (Sweet Morinda)
- Hakea salicifolia (Willow-leaf Hakea)
- Hardenbergia violacea (Purple Coral Pea)
- Hedycarya angustifolia (Austral Mulberry)
- Hibbertia aspera (Rough Guinea Flower)
- Hibbertia obtusifolia (Hoary Guinea Flower)
- Hibbertia scandens (Snake Vine)
- Homalanthus stillingifolius (Small-leaved Bleeding Heart)
- Indigofera australis (Native Indigo)
- Juncus kraussii (Sea Rush)
- Kennedia rubicunda (Dusky Coral Pea)
- Leptospermum morrisonii (Tea Tree)
- Leptospermum polygalifolium (Tantoon)
- Libertia paniculata (Branching Grass-Flag)
- Litsea reticulata (Bolly Gum)
- Livistona australis (Cabbage Tree Palm)
- Lomandra longifolia (Spiny-headed Mat-rush)
- Lomandra spicata (Forest Mat-rush)
- Maclura cochinchinensis (Cockspur Thorn)
- Melaleuca armillaris (Bracelet Honey Myrtle)
- Melaleuca decora (White Feather Honeymyrtle)
- Meleleuca hypericifolia (Hillock Bush)
- Melaleuca styphelioides (Prickly Paperbark)
- Microleana stipoides (Weeping Grass)
- Olearia microphylla (Small-leaved Daisy Bush)
- Olearia tomentosa (Toothed Daisy-bush)
- Olearia viscidula (Viscid Daisy Bush)
- Ozothamnus diosmifolius (Rice Flower)
- Pandorea jasminioides (Bower of Beauty)
- Parachidendron pruinosum (Snow Wood)
- Pennisetum alopecuroides (Swamp Foxtail Grass)
- Pittosporum multiflorum (Orange Thorn)
- Pittosporum revolutum (Wild Yellow Jasmine)
- Platysace lanceolata (Shrubby Platysace)
- Poa labillardierei (Tussock-grass)
- Podocarpus elatus (Plum Pine)
- Pollia crispata (Pollia)
- Pollia crispata dwarf (Dwarf Pollia)
- Polyscias murrayi (Pencil Cedar)
- Pomaderris ferruginea (Rust Coloured Pomaderris)
- Pratia pedunculata (Matted Pratia)
- Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi (Cut-leaf Mintbush)
- Prostanthera lasianthos (Victorian Christmas Bush)
- Prostanthera nivea (Snowy Mint Bush)
- Rhagodia candolleana (Coastal Salt Bush)
- Ricinocarpos pinifolius (Wedding Bush)
- Ricinocarpos speciosus (Springbook Wedding Bush)
- Sambucus australasica (Native Elderberry)
- Scaevola aemulea (Purple Fan Flower)
- Sloanea australis (Maiden's Blush)
- Smilax glyciphylla (Sweet Sarsparilla)
- Solanum aviculare (Kangaroo Apple)
- Synoum glandulosum (Scentless Rosewood)
- Tasmannia insipida (Brush Pepperbush)
- Telopea speciosissima (NSW Warratah)
- Tetragonia tetragonoides (Warrigal Greens)
- Themeda australis (Kangaroo Grass)
- Toona ciliata (Red Cedar)
- Tristaniopsis laurina (Water Gum)
- Trochocarpa laurina (Tree Heath)
- Viola hederacea (Native Violet)
- Westringia fruticosa (Coastal Rosemary)
- Westringia longifolia (Long-leaved Westringia)
- Zieria smithii (Sandfly Zieria)
Australian Native Species
- Acacia congnata (Bower Wattle)
- Acacia fimbriata (Fringed Wattle)
- Acacia floribunda (Gossamer Wattle)
- Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paw (green form))
- Anigozanthos cultivars (Kangaroo Paw)
- Callistemon sp and cultivars (Bottlebrush)
- Cordyline petiolaris (Broad-leaved Palm Lily)
- Correa sp. and cultivars (Native Fuschia)
- Graptophyllum illicifolium (Mt Blackwood Holly)
- Grevillea sp and cultivars (Grevillea)
- Harpullia pendula (Tulipwood)
- Hymenosporum flavum (Native Frangipanii)
- Leptospermum sp. and cultivars (Tea Tree)
- Lomandra hystrix (Green Mat-rush)
- Myporum parvifolium (Creeping Boobialla)
- Patersonia occidentalis (Purple Flag)
- Philotheca myoporoides (Wax Flower)
- Pimelia ferruginea (Rice Flower)
- Pratia puberula (Alpine Pratia)
- Prostanthera ('Mauve Mantle')
- Scaevola 'Pink Form' (Fan Flower)
- Scaevola purple (Fan Flower)
- Syzgium sp. and cultivars (Lillypilly)
- Thryptomene saxicola (F. C. Payne)
- Verticordia plumosa (Plumed Featherflower)
- Westringia sp. and cultivars (Coastal Rosemary)
Current prices for our Native Plant Sales are shown below. Prices include GST.
You can pay by card (not AMEX) or cheque. Cash is not accepted.
Bring your current rates notice as proof that you’re a resident of the Wollongong City Council area to buy plants at these sales.
Please note, a 0.5% merchant fee applies to all payments made by credit/debit card.
We happily accept the return of pots from any plants you've bought at one of our sales, and we will reuse them.
Please note, we don't accept damaged pots or any pots that were bought elsewhere.
Every financial year, not-for-profit primary and secondary schools, and community centres operating on community land in the Wollongong local government area can request up to 30 plants to be donated from the Botanic Garden's Greenplan Nursery.
We cannot accommodate requests for specific plants. The donation will include a mixture of native grasses, ground covers, trees and shrubs from our available supplies. If you have a specific plant request, you can purchase plants directly from the nursery as a special order (see 'Purchasing Plants' below) or come along to one of our sale days.
Submit your donation request
If you are interested in receiving free plants for your school or community centre please complete the following:
- Email us to request a donation. Note: we cannot accommodate requests for specific plants.
- Once your request has been approved, we will contact you to arrange a collection time. All orders for the remainder of the year will be scheduled for collection early in the new year when stock will be at its best.
Collecting plant donations
Bring a letterhead from the organisation or school authorising you to collect the plants on their behalf, along with photo ID. Plants cannot be collected without this.
Collections must be pre-booked. Collection times are Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9am, 9.30am to 12pm, or 12.30pm to 2pm.
- Visit our Nursery: 63 Northfields Avenue in Keiraville (Gate 8) at your agreed collection date and time (see above).
- Make sure you have an authorisation letter and photo ID.
- If the gate is locked when you arrive, call 0419 273 818.